Wednesday 4 December 2013

Classic Children's Literature Event - January 2014

Amanda at Simpler Pastimes is hosting a Classic Children's Literature Event for January 2014.  I will be reading at least two classic children's books in January and I will try to participate in The Wizard of Oz read that she has scheduled for this month.  It is one of the few well-known children's books that I haven't yet read, so I am looking forward to it!




Rules for the challenge:

~  During the month of January, read as many Children's Classics as you
    wish and post about them on your blog and/or leave a comment on the 
    event page on Amanda's blog.  She will have a link page starting the first
    of the year to gather posts so that we may share as we go.

~  The optional RAL title:  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.
     She plans on discussion the weekend of January 24-26.

~  Use your own judgement for what fits the category but here are some 
     guidelines:
            *  Read books prior to 1963.
            *  Books appropriate for approximately an elementary-school aged
                child or preteen including fairy tales.
            *  Feel free to included books from any country, in translation or not.
            *  Feel free to double up with other events or challenges if you wish.

~  There is no deadline for joining or participating (except, of course, the end 
    of January.

Most important:  Have Fun!


I will start my list here and hope to get at least 2 - 4 done by the end of the month:

1.  The Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

2.  The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis

3.  Once and Future King - T.H. White

4.  Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis

Breton Children Reading by Emile Vernon

2 comments:

  1. I really hope you get to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz--and that you like it as much as you hope! I read a bunch of the Oz books when I was in elementary school, and although I don't remember this one that well (the most famous one, go figure), I do remember it has some definite differences from the movie version. I'll probably try to rewatch the movie after I read the book, for a fun comparison. Hope you have fun come January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw all the Oz books for Kindle on sale at amazon a couple of days ago but, not having read any of them, I didn't want to risk buying them. I do have a paperback copy of The Wizard of Oz though, that I can dig out for the read. Thanks for creating this challenge, Amanda!

      Delete